Donnerstag

creamy spaghetti squash with spinach and roasted walnuts

All blogs are talking about spaghetti squash and how delicious it is. Of course I wanted to try it out by myself - the only problem I had - absolutely no spaghetti squash around here. I couldn't find it anywhere. No spaghetti squash at the farmers market, no spaghetti squash at the biiigggest supermarket. I was soooo upset - a veggie that turns into spaghetti after its cooked - how super cool is that?!


Yesterday I spent the afternoon in the city, strolling trough all of my favourite stores (I was tired after four of them, but my vacations aren't finished yet, so I have pleeenttyy of time for the rest). First stop was at my favorite special occasion grocery store. They sell at least 30 different olive oils, spices and vinegars. They have the biggest shelf with jams in all flavours you can imagine, a big range of asian food, wine and a huge chocolate and sweets section. There is also a little inside veggie market. And there he was - my little spaghetti squash. I grabbed one and spent the rest of the afternoon, with my little squash in my bag.



~ Creamy spaghetti squash with spinach and roasted walnuts 


One squash gives you a lot of spaghetti, so just for me, I used one half for this recipe and with the other half, I will make myself another yummie dinner tonight. The avocado gives this dish the perfect creaminess and the walnuts add a little crunch to it. I love how versatile this squash is.


1 Spaghetti squash
1/2 Avocado
a handful fresh or frozen spinach
a handful of walnuts
2 gloves of garlic
1/2 onion
lemon juice
salt
pepper
olive oil

Preheat the oven to 356F degrees (180°C). With a sharp knife pierce the squash all over to let the steam out while baking.  Put it in the oven for about an hour or until you can easily cut trough the skin. Let it cool for 10 minutes.

Put the walnuts in the oven and roast them until golden.

In a bowl, mash the avocado with a fork, add the juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper. Add olive oil to a pan, cut the onion and the garlic and cook until barely golden. Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.

Meanwhile cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Now the fun part - with a fork, scrape flesh into the pan with the spinach, add the avocado mash and mix well. Toss with the roasted walnuts.

1 Kommentar: